WHO CRUCIFIED JESUS?
TEXTS: Acts 2:22-24
THE JEWS KILLED JESUS
1. This view is responsible for much anti-Semitism through the ages.
2. Inquisitions, ghettoization of Jews, Holocaust
3. Jewish people have a legitimate fear
4. Jewish Leaders wanted to preserve their nation and their place of authority – John 11:49-50.
5. It could be argued that they had the Jewish nation at heart and legitimately feared what the Romans would do to anyone claiming to be king of the Jews. More likely, they did not believe and wanted to preserve their power.
6. John 7:1, 19; John 10:31
7. Acts 2:36
8. Yes, the Jewish leaders were culpable in Jesus death
9. But did Jesus hold them guilty? "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"
1. John 18:28-32 (esp. v. 31b)
2. But at this point the matter was squarely in Pilate's hands
3. Matthew 27:27
4. Crucifixion was a Roman means of capital punishment, not Jewish
5. So, the Romans were the ones who actually carried out the death sentence
1. John 3:16
2. Isaiah 53:4-5
SATAN - The archenemy of God and humanity
1. The power of death was in Satan's hands - Hebrews 2:14
2. John 13:27 – Judas
3. Luke 22:53 – power of darkness
ALL OF US - HE BORE THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD - WE ARE ALL GUILTY!
CONCLUSION: Who really crucified Jesus?