Stupid Things We Do: Worship the Wrong Gods
TEXT: Exodus 20:1-3
PROPOSITION: It is foolish to worship the wrong gods.
KEY WORD: Questions
SCRIPTURE READING: Same
What does the First Commandment affirm?
1. Most of the 10 Commandments are in the negative
2. Only the 4th and 5th do not contain the word not.
3. All can be expressed negatively or positively.
4. This command affirms two things:
a. No other gods ahead of Jehovah (before Him).
b. No other gods in addition to Jehovah (besides Him).
5. This command is a clear command for Monotheism belief in one God.
What does the First Commandment forbid?
1. Atheism Psalm 14:1 Fool says there is no god
2. Agnosticism Claims we dont have enough information to believe
3. Deism God made the world and let it go, never interferes
4. Henotheism Belief in a national god
a. God of the USA? Our race, tribe, political system
b. Many view God as White, Anglo-Saxon, capitalist, _____ (political party)
5. Polytheism Belief in many gods pagan view Greeks and Romans
6. Ecumenism Belief that God can be the god of:
a. Other religions Buddah, Confucius, Hindu, Islam
b. Other teachings Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, Pentecostals, Catholics, Christian Scientist, Armstrongism, Jehovahs Witness, etc.
c. NOTE: Each of these has a view of God that differs from mine.
How does the First Commandment apply today?