TITLE: HOW TO BUILD A GREAT CHURCH: Great Giving (5 of 6)
TEXT: 2 Corinthians 8:1-7
PROPOSITION: Great churches are built on great giving.
KEY WORD: Lessons
1. We are becoming more materialistic.
2. The church has the resources to do great things.
3. Giving is a grace.
I. Four lessons about this Grace
A. Most frequently mentioned grace
1. 1 in 6 verses in NT
2. Giving overcomes - greed, selfishness, covetousness, materialism
B. Supreme grace
1. More like God when we give.
2. Necessary thing to do.
3. Should be - Natural thing to do.
C. Memorial grace
1. Acts 10:4 Alms are a memorial
2. Widow's mite
3. Woman with ointment - Wherever gospel preached
4. Good Samaritan
D. Revealing grace
1. Where your heart is.
2. Luke 12 - Rich farmer - "Thou fool"
II. The Church Today
Nobody's business, secret, not pledge, no commitment
2. Missing grace
30th in per capita giving
Spend 30 cents per year per member on benevolence
Load carried by the few
Tip waitress more than we give to God
3. Abused grace
Free from law of 10%
Now I can give 2%
III. God is not a beggar
1. He does not accept any gift
2. I Sam. 15:22 Obey is better than sacrifice
3. Many are habit givers - Given a dollar for 30 years
A cycle - less giving = less budget = less giving
Return to Great Church series Page