TITLE:HOW TO BUILD A GREAT CHRUCH: Great Foundation (1 of 6)
TEXT: 1 Corinthians 3:6-10
PROPOSITION: Great churches must have great foundations.
KEY WORD: Requirements
1. We were among the top 10 in total membership and the fastest growing religion in Amercia. NOT TODAY.
2. Discuss four requirements for a great foundation.
I. Biblically sound congregation
1. Preach the word 2 Timothy 4:2
2. Doctrine, morals, life applications
3. Whole counsel of God Acts 20:27
II. Program of work
1. NOT: All eggs in one basket Acts 6 "neglected"
2. Missions, benevolence, edification, evangelism, youth, personal needs, community needs, etc.
3. No one area should drain other works
Caution: Spend on self = selfishness
Spend on others = mission-minded
III. Large enough to meet needs of all
1. In 50's and 60's - tended to "swarm"
2. In 70's and 80's - build "super-church"
Need to be big enough to meet needs
Remain friendly, personal, warm, loving
Too small =
Combine too many ages in a class
High percentage of local overhead
Become clanish, closed, a click
IV. Confidence and enthusiasm for local
1. Is this church in your will?
2. George W. Carver to Andrew Carnegie - "Sir, I have not impressed you with the greatness of my cause."
Why are we short of - money - preachers?
Money - Colleges, Homes, other works = drain
Preachers - Brains refuse local work, teach at college
Colleges - No preacher on their board of dir.
4. Get priorities straight - stop losing preachers
5. Homes - Encourage your sons to be preachers
6. Do you have confidence in the future of this church?
1. If programs = answer - Hire professional organizer and grow
2. If - public relations, salesmanship
3. Atmosphere - love, closeness, fellowship
Return to Great Church series Page