WHAT MAKES THE CHURCHES OF CHRIST UNIQUE?
I want to make this class time as profitable for you as possible. I have outlined below the major areas that that make the churches of Christ unique. I would be glad to discuss any of these in any order that would be of interest to you.
I. Non-denominational in nature.
A. Define - "denomination" = A part of the whole
B. Contradiction - One is as good as another.
But, ours is better.
C. No hierarchy, headquarters, or governing body.
II. Autonomous in organization.
A. Leaders of each congregation -
1. Elders - Presbetry Acts 14:23; Acts 20:17
2. Bishops - Overseers Acts 20:28; I Tim. 3:1
3. Pastors - Shepherds Eph. 4:11; I Pet. 5:1-4
B. Deacons - men who serve Acts 6; I Tim. 3:8-13
C. Ministers - Preachers I Tim. 4:6; Titus 2:15
1. No titles
2. No special clothes or robes
3. Preach, teach, counsel
III. Vocal music in worship.
A. All religious leaders have denounced the instrument.
B. Major issue here is one of "Type of Authority"
1. "Whatever is not forbidden is permitted."
2. "Whatever is not authorized is forbidden."
a. Moses - struck the rock Num. 20:8-12
b. Nadab and Ahihu - Lev. 10:1-3
C. Here is what is commanded:
1. I Cor. 14:15 2. Eph. 5:19
3. Col. 3:16 4. James 5:13
IV. Communion every Sunday.
A. Regular assembly is required - Heb. 10:25
B. Sunday assembly is required - I Cor. 16:2
C. Communion is in the assembly - I Cor. 11:17, 18, 20
D. This is what 1st century church did - Acts 20:7
V. No religious holidays.
A. Law of Moses - filled with holy days
B. That law was "nailed to the cross" Col. 2:14
C. To bind on Christians = going back to old law
1. Gal. 4:9-11 2. Rom. 14:5-6
VI. Significance of Baptism.
A. Burial in water Col. 2:12; Rom. 6:4; Acts 8:36
1. I Peter 3:21 2. Mark 16:16
3. Acts 2:38 4. Acts 22:16
C. Who should be baptized?
1. Believers - Acts 8:36-37; Mark 16:16
2. Penitent - Acts 2:38; Acts 17:30
3. Oral confession - Rom. 10:9-10; Matt. 10:32-33
Return to BC Sermons Page