TITLE: How to be an Umpire
TEXT: Luke 1:57-64
PROPOSITION: God expects us to look for better ways to serve Him and to improve our lives.
KEY WORD: Controls
1. Story of three umpires after a game. One was discouraged because of the "boos" at him.
A. First umpire said, "I call it as I see it."
B. Second umpire said, "I call it like it is."
C. Third umpire said, "It ain't until I call it!"
2. Who controls your life?
A. Live as you see best?
B. Live as life is?
C. Call it and then live that!
1. "I call it as I see it."
A. Our view can become:
1. Distorted - by those around us
2. Fuzzy - failure to study
3. Warped - our own desires and wants
B. This philosophy of life
1. Makes the tail wag the dog.
2. Others snap and you jump.
3. You are not in control of your life.
2. "I call like it is."
A. Realistic view
1. We need to be realistic.
2. "Accept what cannot be changed.
Change what I can.
Wisdom to know the difference."
3. Job's three friends were this type.
B. This philosophy of life:
1. This is the deck I was dealt
2. I will play with these.
3. I will do the best I can with what I got.
C. Open door for excuses -
1. That I did the best I could
2. Can't help it. That is the way I am.
3. "It ain't until I call it!"
A. God and I are in control.
1. Romans 8:31
2. Philippians 4:13
B. Zechariah - "His name is John."
C. Man leading in prayer -
1. Not all I should, could, want to be
2. But I am not all I used to be either.
4. Philippians 3:13-14
5. II Corinthians 3:18 "I am becoming ..."
Return to BC Sermons Page