1 Corinthians 7:25-28
Paul’s advice is tempered by the “present distress” (persecution) that made marriage less desirable.
Paul is not anti marriage. Marry = not sin. Better choice = WAIT.
You are old enough – mature
75% of teen weddings end in divorce in less than 5 years
There is mutual love – make sure it is love, not enfatuation
Some marry for other reasons:
a. Rebellion, get away from parents
b. Freedom to sin
d. On the rebound from a broken relationship
3. Ready for each other – after college, med. School, sickness, anything that might interfere
Moral & Spiritual lives are straight
Many make “campaign” promises – I will go to church with you, I won’t stop you from church
5. Financially stable – 2 live as cheap as one – only half as long
6. Parental approval – you marry their family, too – (parents, siblings, in-laws)
It is God approved – talk to minister, elders, seek counsel and
RULE: In doubt? Don’t!
Ounce of prevention = ton of cure
If I am baptized now – some might think I did it just to please her.
1. They had better pray for forgiveness
2. I don’t care what THEY think
3. Real question – What is your attitude? Are you ready?
Return to BC Sermons Page