TITLE: Quench Not the Spirit
TEXT: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22
PROPOSITION: God demands that we allow the Spirit to be a vital and active part of our lives.
KEY WORD: Questions
SCRIPTURE READING: Same
A. I was on the fire department. I quenched fires!
B. Black smoke = fire; white smoke = steam
C. Today I want to ask about your spiritual fire.
1. What does it mean to quench the Spirit?
2. What do we quench?
3. How do we prevent it from happening?
D. Three questions to discuss:
I. What does it mean to quench the Spirit?
A. Greek = "Don't develop the habit of quenching."
B. Quench = douse, extinguish, put out
C. If there is no fire in the heart, the wood is wet.
II. What do we put out when we quench the Spirit?
A. Fire of Overcoming Sin and Temptation
1. Romans 8:13
1. Galatians 5:16-26
2. Romans 8:1-8, 12-14
3. 1 Corinthians 10:13
B. Fire of Endurance
1. Ephesians 1:13-14
2. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
C. Fire of Comfort
1. Ephesians 3:16
III. How do we stop quenching the Spirit?
A. With Enthusiasm = "God in us"
1. Is God dwelling in you?
2. Can others tell it?
B. With Caution:
1. You can quench a fire by doing NOTHING.
2. Same with your spiritual fire.
3. "I ain't been doing nothing. I aim to quit."
C. With Warmth and Willingness
1. Be warm and friendly - not cold.
2. Be always "ready and willing."
Return to BC Sermons Page