TITLE: Wrapped Up In Smoke
TEXT: Proverbs 16:18
PROPOSITION: Pride is the sin of arrogant, self conceit.
KEY WORD: Areas
1. Pride is often mentioned in the Bible.
A. Good kind = accomplishments
B. Most often = bad kind
2. One of the words = "wrapped up in smoke"
A. Self deluded, in a created fog
B. "Smoke screen"
3. Showing oneself above others, pre-eminent, arrogant
4. Words used - Pride, Proud, Boasting, Haughty, Vain glory, High-minded, Puffed up
5. Six areas where we can be "wrapped up in smoke."
I Tim. 6:17
I Tim. 3:6
I Tim. 6:3-4
Rom. 2:17, 23, 27
II Cor. 10:16
II Tim. 3:2
I Pet. 5:5
1. C. S. Lewis called pride a "spiritual cancer" which eats up love and contentment. It is actually a sign of our own insecurity and feelings of inferiority.
2. Pride is not just something to watch out for. It will keep you from heaven - send you to hell. Wearing your halo too tight gives others a headache.
Man - "My ancestor signed the Dec. of Indep."
Jew - "My ancestor signed the Ten Commandments."
Return to BC Sermons Page