TITLE: LOVE: A Many Splintered Thing
TEXT: I Corinthians 13:1-8
PROPOSITION: Love and emotion have gotten confused.
KEY WORD: Splinters
1. Love is often confused with other feelings.
2. Change song title - "Many Splintered Thing"
3. I want to discuss some of these splinters
1. Emotions, feelings
A. Feelings come and go, up and down, roller coaster
B. Emotions = how we respond to events
2. Hole or a Window
A. Hole = fall in love, accidently
B. Window = fall out of, accidently
3. Mushy, hold hands, giggle, kiss, "go with"
A. Puppy love, infatuation
B. Start with the physical, don't stop there.
4. Because of ... (what you did for me)
A. Love is not a debt you owe.
B. "I love you because you ..."
5. In order to ... (what I want you to do)
A. Love should not be used to manipulate.
B. "I won't love you unless you ..."
6. Suits my tastes (car, house, dress, sermon)
A. Tastes, likes, favorite colors -- change
B. Most adults don't eat peanut butter.
1. Agape love = In spite of ... (flaws, ugly)
2. Decide how you are going to treat another person.
3. "YOU ARE COMMANDED TO LOVE ME ANYWAY."
Return to BC Sermons Page