TITLE: The Lord's Supper
TEXT: I Cor. 11:23-30
PROPOSITION: God demands that we focus on the communion in our worship.
KEY WORD: Questions
1. We are going to focus on the communion today.
I. When? How often?
A. Three types of authority -
command example necessary inference
B. Apply to communion
1. Command - Matt. 26:26-27 Take, eat; Drink ye
I Cor. 11:25 "This do in rem."
2. Example Acts 20:7 church at Troas
3. Inference - cups, trays, system of distribution
1. On first day of week Acts 20:7
2. How often? Aply rule of calendars
Regular event and regular day - recurr same
3. Apply rule of giving. I Cor. 16:1-2
a. Same phrase - "First day of the week"
b. Same assembly required for both.
c. Same regularity applies to both.
II. Why? What is the purpose?
A. Memorial -
1. "This do in remembrance of me."
2. Establish to serve as a reminder
B. Proclamation of your faith in the D. B. R.
C. Nourishment -
1. Not physical - to satisfy hunger
2. But spiritual - avoid spiritual malnutrition
I Cor. 11:30 - many weak and sickly
III. Who? Luke 22:29-30
A. John 3:5 Born again = in the kingdom
B. More than just believers Rom. 13:11
C. Some are not far form the kingdom Mark 12:32-34
D. At my table - placed in the kingdom
1. Lord's table I Cor. 10:21
2. Lords' supper I Cor. 11:20
3. Communion I Cor. 10:16
4. Break bread Acts 20:7; Acts 2:42
IV. How? I Corinthians 11:
A. Worthily 11:27
B. Discern the Lord's body 11:29
C. Self-examination 11:28
D. Remember D. B. R. 11:26
E. Anticipate return 11:26
Return to BC Sermons Page