TITLE: Ichabod in the Church
TEXT: I Samuel 4:17-22
QUESTION: What? How?
KEY WORD: Causes Solutions
READING: Same Song: To God Be the Glory
1. "Glory" = primarily signifies an opinion, estimate, and hence, the honor resulting from a good opinion.
2. Tell story of Ark of Covenant - stolen
3. Husband died, father-in-law died, Ark stolen
4. What would remove "glory" from the church today?
I. What are the Causes of Ichabod in the church?
A. Failure to Love One Another
B. Gossip, Talebearing
C. Gripe, Complain
D. Lack of Dedication
E. Lack of Sacrifical Giving
F. Sin in our Lives
1. Hypocrisy = Shame and reproach on the church
2. Any "known" sin = hurt to the church
3. I Cor. 5:1 "commonly reported"
G. Harsh, Judgmental Attitude
H. Failure to Glorify God
II. How do we solve the Ichabod problem?
A. Love One Another John 13:34-35
B. Stop the "cut-downs" Phil. 2:3
C. Try giving complements Eph. 4:32
D. Be a Debtor Rom. 1:14-16
E. Give Willingly II Cor. 9:7
F. Stop the hypocrisy Luke 6:42
G. Get out of judging business Matt. 7:1
H. Give God all the Glory Ps. 24:7-10
Return to BC Sermons Page