TITLE: A Gathering of Strangers
TEXT: Acts 4:31-35
PROPOSITION: Our attitude toward worship will determine how friendly we are to those from the outside.
KEY WORD: Dynamics
1. American Express ads on TV - "Do you know who I am?"
2. We go from locked house to attached garage, open with opener from inside the car, drive-thru window at fast food place for breakfast, return home the same way --
3. We are losing contact with people.
4. It is not possible to know everybody well
I. The dymanics
A. Celebration - does not matter --
1. How many others are there
2. Who they are or if you know them
3. What is going on in their lives.
B. Congregation - some recognition --
1. Know many by name or face
2. Hear announcements about them.
3. See them occasionaly before the assembly
4. Common purpose and goals.
C. Cell - small group, know well --
1. Talk, listen, learn grow
2. Understand how others feel
D. In the life of Jesus --
1. Celebration = feeding the multitudes
2. Congregation = 120 in upper room
3. Cell = 12 apostles
II. How to you attend worship?
A. Movie theater - the show
1. Important - what is the show?
2. Not important - Who is there, what is going on in their lives, recent deaths, hospital, illness
3. We go for the show - and go home.
4. Pay at a different time - "Free admission, pay before you leave."
B. Wal-Mart - the bargains
1. Look for the bargains. What is on sale?
2. Might run into a few friends.
3. Christianity is not cheap, on half-price sale.
C. Class reunion - see who has changed
1. Who is divorced, re-married
2. Catch up on the news, who is a success, who not
D. Family picnic - fellowship with family
1. Social - fun, fellowship, food
2. "Enjoy the services."
Return to BC Sermons Page