TITLE: How to be a Friend of God
TEXT: James 2:20-32
PROPOSITION: We can become the friend of God.
KEY WORD: Descriptions
1. During a lifetime we know hundreds of people.
2. A person is lucky to have two or three "FRIENDS."
3. Today, you can become the friend of God.
1. The greatest opportunity afforded to man
A. Can you think of one you would like to have for a friend? Would you like to have God for a friend?
B. God wants us to be His friend.
1. Rev. 4:11
2. James 2:23 Abraham: Friend of God
3. II Cor. 5:19-21
C. Judas Iscariot is called a friend.
2. What is a Friend of God?
A. Knows God personally
1. Abraham knew God.
2. Gen. 17:1-2
3. Rom. 4:20-21
B. Loves God.
1. I John 4:8 "God is love"
2. John 14:15 "If you love me, keep my commands."
C. Interested in the things of God.
1. James 4:4 Love of the world = enemy of God.
2. I John 2:15 "Love not the world"
D. Enjoys fellowship with God.
1. Sing, Pray, Study, Read, Meditate
2. Seek company of others who do the same.
E. Loyal to God's family.
1. God requires loyalty from us. Matt. 10:37
2. I Thess. 5:21 Prove all things, hold to good.
3. How to become a Friend of God.
A. By faith.
1. James 2:23 Abraham called the Friend of God
2. Hebrews 11:6 "Without faith it is impossible"
B. By obedience.
1. John 15:14 My friends if you do what I say.
2. Hebrew 5:8-9 Jesus learned obedience...
C. Through fellowship.
1. With God I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light"
2. With fellow believers Heb. 10:25
1. God wants you to be His friend.
This is an opportunity to make or renew that friendship with God.
Return to BC Sermons Page