TITLE: Freedom From Want
TEXT: 1 Timothy 6:6-10
PROPOSITION: There are two ways to be free from want.
KEY WORD: Ways
I. One Way
A. Make more = Higher paying job
B. Charge more, borrow more, = Deeper in debt
C. Cheat more = fraud, embezzle, lie, rip off, steal
II. The Other Way
A. Want less
Proverbs 17:1 Dry morsel/quietness; houseful/strife
Ecc. 4:6 Handful/quietness; 2 hands full/travail
Psalm 23:1 I shall not want
1 Thessalonians 4:11 Do own business, work with own hands
1 Timothy 6:6-10 contentment - rich=fall into traps
Philippians 4:11 Content in any state
B. Principles that will help you want less
1. Plan your life - 10 years, 20 years
a. Ephesians 5:15-16 "redeem the time"
b. Draw a "Road Map" of your life
2. Do not measure success in dollars
a. Matthew 6:19-21 Lay up treasure in heaven
b. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 Ready to distribute
3. Do not look for greener pastures
4. Practice relaxing and doing nothing
a. Acts 9:31 "Churches had rest"
b. Some rest TOO much
c. Some are working 2 jobs; 10-16 hrs. a day
5. Count the blessings that you have
a. 2 Corinthians 8:12 "According to what you have"
6. Learn to play for pleasure - not winning
a. "Winning is the ONLY Thing" Lombardi
b. Play should be for "play"
7. Plan diversions for you and family
8. Recognize your limitations
a. I will not be Donald Trump.
b. I ain't Robert Redford. (fill in movie star)
I have compiled a short list – you can add to this list as you think of other things.
1. I knew whom I was when I woke up.
2. I did not fall through the floor when I got out of bed.
3. My shoe is the same shape as my foot.
4. Very few screamed when they say me coming.
5. I remembered to dress before leaving the house.
6. I can still buckle my belt.
7. The label was right. The can of corn had corn in it.
8. My nose was in the same place it was last night.
9. I got through three meals without swallowing any silverware.
10. Music came out of the radio.
11. The refrigerator did not fall over.
12. My wife recognized me this morning.
13. My chair did not collapse when I sat down.
14. My car started.
15. There were no carpet tacks in my biscuit this morning.
WOW! Am I having a great day, or what?
I am sure with this head start, you can think of many other things to fill your day with joy.
Return to BC Sermons Page