Forgiveness Under the Law
1. Was there any forgiveness under the Law of Moses?
2. Two answers: Yes and No
What is forgiveness?
1. Not a change of mind
2. Not peace of conscience
3. Not escape fro consequences
4. IS when resentment ceases
a. God hates sin Proverbs 6:16-19
b. Jesus hates sin Mark 3:5
Did those under the law have forgiveness?
a. Moses sinned Numbers 20:8-12
i. V. 12 did not enter land Deuteronomy 32:51; 34:4
ii. Dispute over Moses body Jude 9
b. David sinned 2 Samuel 12:13-14
c. Israel Leviticus 4
i. Whole congregation 13-20
ii. Ruler 21-26
iii. Common people 27-35
d. Sick man in Mark 2:5
a. We cannot overcome sin by the law, yet the first condition of doing so, the knowledge of sin, is obtained through the law.
b. Romans 3:20
3. Yes, in prospect, promise, anticipation
4. No in immediate fact
5. Christs blood flowed both directions salvation belongs to those who believe, repent and obey the will of God
Return to BC Sermons Page