TITLE: The Hazards of Faith
TEXT: Rom. 10:17-21
PROPOSITION: We must be aware of the dangers which faith might lead us toward.
KEY WORD: Dangers
1. Farmer - planted no crops, "I played it safe."
2. Faith relates to the future - future is uncertain.
3. "Faith is trust in what you know is not true."
1. Hazards of Gaining Christ
A. Becoming a Christian requires much faith
B. Faith involves risks
1. Estrangement Matthew 10:35-37
2. Insecurity - job, finances
3. Contempt - friends, socially
C. Four who tore up a roof Mark 2:1-12
D. Israel "heard" but they did not have faith.
2. Hazards of Serving Christ
A. Service means risking one's life
1. Epaphroditus Philippians 2:30
2. Paul 2 Corinthians 11:23-27
B. Faith and love require risks
1. doctors and nurses
2. firemen and police
C. Are you willing to risk health for Christ?
1. Minister to the sick Matthew 25:25
2. Preach in hostile land? Mark 16:15
3. Worship in bad weather Hebrews 10:25
4. Help an AIDS patient, go to leper colony?
3. Hazards of supporting Christ
A. Willing to venture liberality
1. Macedonians 2 Cor. 8:1-5
2. Poor widow Mark 12:41-44
B. Giving involves risks
1. Need to support family 1 Timothy 5:8
2. Provide for old age
3. Miss some comfort or luxury items
1. True faith is a reckless abandon to the will of God.
2. Faith must launch out into the deep.
Return to BC Sermons Page