TITLE: The Process (5th in a series of 5)
PROPOSITION: God gave us guidance for the selection, ordination and tenure of pastors.
I. Selection By Members
A. Biblical precedent Acts 6
B. First pastors of a cong. were chosen this way
C. Eliminates "self-perpetuating" board
D. Give "self-respect" to members
1. Otherwise, no recourse
2. Says, "Your are not smart enough to choose."
E. New pastor is doubt - Do they want me to lead them?
F. Members can "oust" -
1. How can they out a man they did not select?
2. Not likely for other pastors to oust him.
A. Acts 6
B. Acts 13
C. Acts 14
D. I Tim. 4:14
E. Pattern in the New Testament -
3. Laying on hands
F. Today -
1. Never fast
2. Prayer - quick and over with it
3. Hand shake
G. Preacher has the authority to ordain
1. Select = church
2. Ordain = "set in office"
A. Elders can "go bad"
B. Prophets, kings, judges, preachers, deacons
C. Diotrephes - "bad elder" "little pope"
D. Assumed: Appointed for life - Scripture? NONE
E. Elders can:
1. Resign - quit, give up, wear-out
2. Move - must be "among the flock"
3. Deposed - recalled
F. Churches with bad situations - become worse
G. When should an elder resign?
1. Does not do the work
2. No longer qualified
3. Lost ability to lead the flock
H. Elders should:
1. Evaluate themselves Acts 20:28
2. Be evaluated by the congregation (5 yrs.)
I. When elders are entrenched - church suffers
Return to BC Sermons Page