TITLE: Divorce, The Rule
TEXT: Mark 10:2-12
PROPOSITION: God would like for us to focus on the rule, rather than trying to expand the exception.
KEY WORD: Particulars
1. The divorce question is very important in our world.
2. There is a valid exception.
3. FIRST, we need to understand the rule.
4. This text gives four particulars.
I. The Question 2
B. Tempting him
C. "Is it lawful?"
D. Matthew - "For every cause?"
E. Intent - "Are you liberal or conservative?"
II. The Response 3-5
A. "What did Moses say?"
1. We need to answer that way.
2. What does the Bible say?
B. Here is the reason for the allowance:
1. Hardness of your hearts.
2. Provided protection to women.
3. Put up roadblocks for men.
III. The Intent 6-9
A. From the beginning
1. Created - male and female
2. One man and one woman = material for marriage
B. Two vital words for a marriage.
1. Leave - father and mother
2. Cleave - "glue" to each other
C. They should blend into oneness.
D. God joined them. Man should not separate.
IV. The Rule 10-12
A. Disciples asked for more information
B. Here is the rule:
1. Put away wife and marry another = adultery
2. Put away husband & marry another = adultery
1. We get busy studying the exceptions.
need to understand the rule - FIRST!
Return to BC Sermons Page