TITLE: Count the Cost
TEXT: Luke 14:25-33
PROPOSITION: Christianity costs.
KEY WORD: Costs
1. Car, house, TV, anything - "What is the cost?"
2. I do not have "cheap grace" to sell you.
3. Christianity COSTS!
4. Are you willing to pay the price?
I. You decide to follow at all costs (26)
A. Woman baptized - husband kicks her out of house
B. Student - converted, lost car, money, tuition
C. Young boy - at church w/suitcase
D. Matt. 10:34-27
II. Carry your cross (27)
A. Not: on building, around neck, walk U.S.
B. Is: crucifixion - don't baptize people until they are dead.
1. Many have been buried alive. Rom. 6:3-4
2. Gal. 2:20 "I am crucified" = pres. act.
"I continue to be crucified"
3. I Cor. 15:31 "I die daily"
C. Many need a lethal dose of religion
Some have just enough religion to be miserable.
III. Count the cost (28-32)
A. Build a tower - get some estimates
B. Enter a war - know the size of the enemy
C. What will you have to change?
1. Sins to stop, friends to drop, places to quit
2. Habits to break, Words to eliminate
IV. Forsake all (33)
A. What did you give up to become a Christian?
B. We must "Surrender All" to the purposes of Jesus
Car, house, clothes, TV, shoes, furniture
Family, talents, savings, checking, boat
C. Letter from a communist to girlfriend
We need a lethal dose of religion
Explain digestion -
1. Eat a cow - it becomes me
2. If steak refuses - it comes up
Return to BC Sermons Page