TITLE: Born Again
TEXT: John 3:1-8
PROPOSITION: The new birth can be understood from three perspectives.
KEY WORD: Perspectives
1. Often quoted - Seldom understood.
2. Look at this command from three perspectives.
1. Physical. 4
A. Literal - Can I be born again?
B. Re-enter the womb when old?
C. Jesus called this the flesh view. (6)
D. NOT POSSIBLE. Not reincarnation.
2. Water. 5
A. "Born of water" - refers to baptism.
B. 2 Cor. 5:17 "new creature in Christ"
C. 1 John 5:4-8 born of God = water, spirit, blood
D. Romans 6:3-4
3. Spirit. 5, 6, 8
A. Rom. 8:16 Spirit bears witness WITH our spirit
B. 1 John 5:7 3 in heaven - Father, Word, Spirit
C. Spirit = not material, not visible.
D. Romans 8
Walk after Spirit - 1
Indwelling Spirit - 9
Raised from dead - 11
Conquor sin - 13
Directed - 14
Relation with Father - 15
Bears witness - 16
1. Physical = natural birth process.
2. Born of water = baptism, new start, new creation
3. Born of Spirit = Guard, guide,
direct (through Word)
Return to BC Sermons Page