TITLE: Birth of Christ
TEXT: Luke 2:1-7
PROPOSITION: The birth of Christ is an important event that should not be overlooked.
KEY WORD: Facts
1. We are inconsistent. We deny that his birth is to be celebrated as a special holy day.
A. Seldom preach on birth of Christ, except December
B. All literature teaches it in December.
C. Practice what we condemn Romans 2:1
2. We avoid singing songs about His birth. Why?
3. Next to the death of Christ, more is recorded about His birth than any other event.
4. The birth of Jesus was:
I. An Occasion of Joy
A. Angels rejoiced
B. Shepherds rejoiced
C. World should rejoice
D. Think about your study of birth of Jesus:
Discuss- trees, man in red suit, cards, parties
Fuss about- songs, not to observe
II. A Fulfillment of Prophecy
A. Isaiah 9:6-7 A son is born
B. Isaiah 7:14 Virgin birth
C. Micah 5:2 Bethlehem of Judah
D. Hosea 11:1 Out of Egypt
E. Jeremiah 31:15 Much weeping, death
III. A Supernatural Event
A. God in the flesh John 1:1-3, 14
B. Virgin birth Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23
IV. A "God-With-Us" Baby
A. Philippians 2:6-7 "emptied himself"
B. Was Jesus ever "UNABLE"? YES!
1. Not "Clark Kent in-the-flesh"
2. Not E.T. -visit planet, lived and died here
1. Had to "learn" to walk, talk, read, write
2. Learned to obey Hebrews 5:8-9
3. Sweat, cried, hungry, thirsty, bathed, brushed teeth, combed his hair, got a haircut, slept, dreamed
1. Study, teach, worship His birth - ALL THE TIME.
2. Understand His humanity to appreciate His divinity.
Hebrews 4:15 "tempted in all points like we are"
Return to BC Sermons Page