TITLE: Beyond Easy Faith
TEXT: II Timothy 3:1-5
PROPOSITION: Churches have made faith too easy.
KEY WORD: Requirements
1. Quote, "Beyond Easy Believism", Gary Collins, p. 18
2. Gallop poll 34% "Yes" Born again experience with Jesus
3. Why isn't America better, then?
4. Quote, p. 19
A. Mere belief - mental assent
B. Real conviction and practice
5. Beyond Easy Faith requires more than:
1. No Demands
A. Sin is not sin - laxity, mistake, fault, judg. error
B. We should preach:
1. Repentance Acts 17:30-31
2. Commitment Matt. 10:37-39
3. Sacrifice Rom. 12:1-2
4. Self-discipline I Cor. 6:12
2. No costs
A. Annoyed at letters for help with hungry, lepers, etc
B. We tend to give when it will "pay" us back
C. Why pay $3.00 for a dollars worth of cookies?
D. I want religion, faith and hope - but:
1. Don't let it interfere with my lifestyle
2. Don't let it cost me time, money, energy
3. Socially acceptable
A. Study James 2:1-9
1. "Respect of persons"
2. Wealth, race, color, education, occupation
3. 8-9 respect of persons = sin, transgression
B. How would you accept/reject John the Baptist?
C. How would Jesus be received at your house?
A. Narcissus = fell in love with own reflection
B. "Me-centered" generation
1. Burger King "have it your way"
C. Humanism = I am the center of my universe
D. Romans 12:3
E. Phil. 2:3-5
5. Seeking pat answers
A. Suffering, death, disappointment - WHY?
B. Let's be honest about this --
1. I don't know. Neither do you.
2. "Why?" is asked out of pain
3. Not seeking for an answer
6. A certainty of success
A. We can't stand to fail
B. Difference in failing and being a failure
C. "Health and Wealth" gospel
1. Rev. Ike "God wants you to be rich."
2. TV preachers - "God wants you to succeed."
A. We go to church to be entertained.
1. Admit it. All of us do this.
2. Singing, Prayers, Sermon - we want "just right"
3. Why preacher tryouts? Can he keep you awake?
B. TV, movies =
1. Fast pace, change of scenes
2. Multi-media - hear, see, feel, "smell-o-vision"
C. Danger! Worship becomes "show-biz"
D. Preacher becomes "superstar"
8. Trivial Authority
A. We don't want others telling us what to do.
B. Freedom is emphasized. Authority is shunned.
C. Preachers need to preach two messages:
1. Here is what God said.
2. So - Start doing it.
D. We have "selective hermeneutics"
1. Study and emphasize what we want, like, believe
2. Ignore what is hard, demanding, requires change
Return to BC Sermons Page