Return to Topical Index
Womens Role in the Church
- The Issues facing the church
- Women preaching, teaching over the man.
- Women as elders, deacons, having authority over
- Women leading in prayer, leading singing, reading
- Lets get the questions ON THE TABLE.
- Examples and Quotes What
is happening today?
- The Issues are NOT:
- Talents and Abilities Amy Grant
Suppose my talent is gardening, baking, cake decorating,
Sculptor MUST make idols for the church to worship.
- Customs and Traditions Foot washing, Holy
kiss, Laying on hands, Women wearing veils, Braided hair,
Customs change, shift, come and go.
With this command there is a God-given reason for the
This reason supercedes any custom, culture, and
- Todays Society Women working, Not 2nd
class citizens, Respected
- Outside the Church CEO, Teacher, Principle,
Supervisor, Speak at PTA
- Leadership in the Church Pre-school
department, over nursery, funeral foods, VBS, Ladies
- Women teaching She is commanded to teach
younger women (Titus 2:4)
She can teach at home. She can teach children. She can
teach in private. She can teach by example. She can teach
the lost. She can teach the preacher.
- Women commenting in a Bible Class Women can
participate in singing, prayer, Bible class, etc.
The comments can teach (instruct) and edify all (men and
women) including the teacher of the class.
See Acts 18:24-26
- Participation in Worship Women not only can
participate, they must do so. Women can sing,
pray, study, commune, give.
- The Bible Passages to Study.
A. Private vs. public
B. Expounded = explain, teach, inform
C. All of us (men and women) can explain and teach so there is a
fuller understanding of the Bible.
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
A. Background and context of this passage
B. "Your women" Not women in general, Wives of
the inspired prophets
C. "Keep silent" = No sound. Period. Not permitted to
speak At All!
D. "Ask husbands at home" Not for widow,
divorced, one with non-Christian mate.
1 Timothy 2:8-15
- Men = male of the species, as opposed to the
female; Not men as general term for all mankind.
- Pray everywhere (publicly)
- Women (9) = Female of the species, as opposed to
- Learn in silence (11) = "silence"
calm, tranquil, peaceful
1 Peter 3:4 "meek and quiet spirit"
1 Timothy 2:2 "lead a quiet and peaceable
- Description of the life of one who stays at home
doing his own work, and does not officiously
meddle with the affairs of others
- Suffer (12) Not allow, not permit, not
- To teach = "deliver a discourse" preach
a prepared lecture
- "Usurp authority" = exercise authority.
This is not a question of how the authority was
obtained. She many not be in a position of
- "OVER THE MAN" This phrase
applies to BOTH "teach" and
That is She may not teach OVER THE MAN.
She may not exercise authority OVER THE MAN.
- Who is the "MAN" of this passage? All
men, all males? If this applied to all males she
could not teach her son, have authority over a
I believe the "MAN" of vs. 12 is the
"MAN" of vs. 8. The Christian male who
is able to lead in prayer, teach, preach.
Example Young men on 5th Sunday
PM preaches, teaches classes.
- Question arises Woman is teaching the 4th
grade class One boy is baptized
Must she resign her class? This is not a clearly
drawn line. The context would be the man of vs.8.
This is a Christian male who leads in prayer.
- Silence (12) See notes on vs. 11.
In 1 Corinthians 14:34 silence = no sound.
Here is a different word meaning calm,
quiet, tranquil, and peaceful NOT loud,
- Argument #1 Seniority Man was 1st
formed then woman. (13)
NOT Who is better looking, smarter, able
to make decisions, handle stress of leadership,
sinned 1st, greater sinner.
- Argument #2 NOT who sinned.
Many think this passage teaches the woman sinned
This passage says Man showed greater
weakness. Eve was deceived. Adam was not
deceived. Both were wrong. Being deceived is not
an excuse for sin. Both were tempted Both
sinned Both were punished.
- Argument #3 She shall be saved in
Two ways to look at this passage
 While sin entered the world through a woman
(Eve); The savior entered the world through a
 Every woman, in bearing and raising children,
teaching them right, instilling in them moral
values, and leading them to faith in God, serves
to undo the wrong done in Eden.
- This passage does not forbid a woman from being a CEO,
speaking at a PTA meeting, teaching High School English,
or having authority.
- The Bible does not forbid the following activities in the
Teaching Children, Other ladies, having ladies
Bible class, devotionals
Having authority over nursery, funeral foods,
primary department, prepare communion, over children in
her home, over men at a factory, etc.
- In the church women can do all things that men can
[a] Teach (preach) over the man.
[b] Have authority over the man.
Return to Topical Index