1 Corinthians 12:1-11
1. Spiritual gifts are:
A. Miracles, supernatural events.
B. Performed through the agency of men.
C. The power is received though the laying on of apostle's hands.
D. Given by the Holy Spirit according to the person's ability to use the gift.
2. There are different gifts given by the same Spirit. (4)
A. Different administrations from the same Lord.
B. Different operations from the same God.
C. The purpose for these differences is so that all can be a profit to the kingdom.
3. Nine specific gifts are listed. (3 sets of 3)
A. Teaching gifts.
B. Helping gifts.
C. Evangelistic gifts.
A. They function together, like gears in a machine.
B. They all have the Spirit as their origin and source of power.
C. The Holy Spirit distributes the gift to each as He sees the need.
1 Corinthians 12:12-27
1. The major point - One body has many members.
A. Different members function in very different ways.
B. All are needed, even the ones we ignore.
2. Questions to think about.
A. Here are some "What if ..." questions.
1. The foot wanted to be a hand?
2. The ear wanted to be an eye?
3. The whole body were an eye?
4. Your body was just a big ear?
5. Every member of your body was identical to all other members of the body?
B. How would you feel if:
1. The eye rejected the hand as useless?
2. The head refused to talk to the feet?
3. Spend some time thinking about:
A. The parts of our body we take for granted.
B. The parts we think are not necessary.
C. Body parts that are less honorable, ugly.
D. Body parts we spend more time caring for.
4. There should be unity in the body.
A. No splits, schisms, divisions are allowed.
B. We should care for one another.
1. When one suffers - we all suffer.
2. When one is honored - all are honored.
3. When one rejoices - we all rejoice.
1 Corinthians 12:28-31
1. The church must have order, rank, structure.
A. 1 Cor. 14:40 Decently and in order.
B. There must be rank and order or there is chaos.
2. God set (established) the order for the church.
A. First - apostles.
B. Secondly - prophets.
C. Thirdly - teachers.
D. After that - miracles.
E. Gifts of healing.
H. Diversities of tongues.
3. We should seek (covet) the best (most useful) gifts.
A MORE EXCELLENT WAY
1 Corinthians 13
1. General outline.
A. Spiritual gifts minus love equals nothing. 1-3
B. Love defined and explained. 4-8a
C. Spiritual gifts are temporary while love is eternal. 8b-13
2. Spiritual gifts must be governed and used with love.
Spiritual Gift Minus LoveEquals
3. Love defined and explained. 4-8a
4. Love contrasted 8b-13
A. Prophecies, tongues, knowledge will stop
B. Know in part vs. know as known
C. Part vs. perfect
D. Child vs. mature adult
E. Dark mirror vs. face to face
F. Things that cease vs. things that abide
5. Proof that spiritual gifts have ceased.
A. Purpose is gone. 1. The church is now established, mature. 2. Revelation is complete, confirmed.
B. STUDY THIS CHART:
SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE TEMPORARY
Tongues Cease When that which is perfect is come
Knowledge Vanish away
AND NOW ABIDES
Faith - Ends in Sight (2 Corinthians 5:7)
Hope - Ends in Realization (Romans 8:24) End at second coming of Christ
Love - E T E R N A L
C. Perfect = complete revelation, mature church
1. Greek "to teleon" = end of a process, completed task, mature, full grown, finished
2. This is not the Second Coming of Christ
a. No time for faith and hope to ABIDE.
b. "perfect" is neuter gender here
c. Not "he who" but "that which"
D. Seeking spiritual gifts today is "backwards."
Chapter 14 Rules for use in the worship assembly
1. In Summary - - Chapter 12 List the gifts and show their unity and origin
Chapter 13 Love is better than any other gift, it is eternal.
These gifts are temporary.
Chapter 14 Contrast of tongues and prophecy in worship.
Rules for using these gifts in the assembly.
2. Detailed outline - -
1-7 Different gifts all come from the same Holy Spirit.
8-11 List of nine gifts, each with a purpose and use.
12-27 Church is compared to a body, many parts work together
31 Some are more important (rank higher) than others.
1-3 Love is important.
4-8a Love defined.
8b-13 Love lasts longer that the spiritual gifts.
Contrasts are made to illustrate this point.
TEMPORARY - ETERNAL
Gifts will stop - Love never fails
Partial - Perfect (complete)
Child - Man
Dark (dim) - Clear (bright)
Ceases - Abides
Contrast between the usefulness of tongues and prophecy in the worship assemblies of the church.
|2||Not to man|
|3||Speak to men|
|4||Edify church||Edify self only|
|12||Edify the church|
|13||Need an interpreter|
|16||No one can say Amen|
|19||Better 5 word understood|
|20||Let's All Grow Up||And Be Adults!|
|22||Sign to believers||Sign to unbelievers|
NOTE 1: This section is dealing with the "church assembled" for worship.
Verse 23 "whole church be come together into one place"
Vs. 19 "in the church" Vs. 24 "convinced of all"
Vs. 26 "when you come together" Vs. 28 "in the church"
Vs. 31 "that all may learn" Vs. 34 "in the churches"
NOTE 2: These gifts do not "control" the person. The person is to control the gift. Study verses 26 and 40. Some may have something to say but it must be done decently and in order.
Rules for Tongues in the assembly - (14:27-28)
Rules for Prophecy in the assembly - (14:29-32)
Rules for All Gifts in the assembly - (14:33-40)