1. I stated that Mary Magdalene was a harlot.
2. I was asked to help find the location of this information.
3. Here is the result of that search.
1. She is first mentioned in Luke 8:1-3.
A. Jesus had cast seven demons out of her.
B. Mark makes the same comment in Mark 16:9.
2. Stood by the cross (Matt. 27:56; Mark 15:40; John 19:25)
3. Watched the burial (Matt. 27:61; Mark 15:47)
4. Came early Sunday morning (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:1; Luke 24:10; John 21:1)
5. She was the first to see open tomb.
6. She was the first to see the resurrected Jesus (Matt. 28:1, 9; John 20:11-18)
7. Magdalene is the home town known as Magdel. This term is used to distinguish her from the other Mary's that were followers of Jesus.
8. Each gospel tells of an anointing.
Matt. 26:1-13; Mk. 14:3-9; Lk. 7:36-50; Jn. 12:1-9
A. Matthew Mark John - just before Passover
B. Matthew Mark Luke - at house of Simon
C. Mark John - give price of 300 pence
D. Matthew Mark John - identify purpose "for burying"
E. Matthew Mark John - "Poor with you always."
F. John - identifies woman as Mary, Lazarus' brother
G. Luke identifies her as a "sinner"
H. Luke John - anointed His feet
I. Matthew Mark Luke - anointed His head
J. Matthew Mark John - in Bethany (Luke in Galilee)
Smith's Bible Dictionary, Vol. 3, page 1814 says, "Out of these few facts there rise a multitude of wild conjectures."
1. That she was the sinful woman of Luke 7:36-50.
A. Only connection is that this event precedes the introduction of Mary in 8:2.
B. Luke 8:1 is a summary statement.
2. That she was a sister to Lazarus and Martha.
A. One of the mysteries is the "disappearance" of Mary, sister of Lazarus. She is not mentioned around the cross or after the resurrection. One explanation that would fit all the accounts is that Mary Magdalene and Mary the sister of Lazarus are the same woman.
B. This still does not prove that she was the sinner woman of Luke 7.
C. Are these three accounts describing the same event? There are differences in:
1] The place
2] The nature of the women
3] The time in Jesus' ministry