Return to Topical Index
Marriage and Divorce
- This is a Searchers Class I will try to
answer ALL your questions.
- I will NOT answer the questions right away. I will make a
note of the question and try to answer it when we are
ready. I must lay the foundation first.
- We are dealing with a sensitive issue. Divorce has
touched every person in this room (friend, family member,
worker, or a church member). We must be sensitive to the
hurts that divorce has caused.
1. We will not name names. We will not identify specific
people. Respect the need for confidentiality.
2. Do not speak in harsh, critical terms about the
decisions others have made. You do not know all the facts
or situations involved.
3. We must be sensitive to the hurts that divorce has
- We will be dealing with OPINION as it applies to the
1. I will try to be clear on what is opinion vs. the law
of God. Paul did this in 1 Corinthians 7. We must
understand what is good advice and what is a command from
2. Be fair with the opinions of others (even though you
believe them to be wrong). We form opinions based on the
information we have. Others may not have the facts that
you have and therefore have reached a different
- We are dealing with an issue of eternal importance. Our
salvation in heaven may depend on how we deal with these
- A PERSONAL NOTE: As a teacher in a public setting, I feel
a responsibility to state in the clearest terms the
teaching of God. In private counseling, I will be more
open to the exceptions and circumstances of an individual
case. I have learned that if I open the door in a public
setting, everyone thinks I have allowed THEIR exception.
- Dont make rules for God. Some want to be
stricter than God. Some want to ignore the commands of
- When dealing with opinions Remember there can
be more than one solution. Do not try to BIND your
solution when there are other options available.
- Dont jump to conclusions. WARNING: This
study can not be done in one 45-minute session of study.
We may leave some matters hanging for next week. Do not
jump to a conclusion until we have concluded.
- Dont let your heart rule your head. This is
a sensitive, personal, emotional issue. When it touches
us in such a personal way, we want God to agree that our
situation is OK. Gods law must be applied equally
Plan of our Study
What is Marriage?
Jesus teaching Matthew 5:32 and Matthew 19:9
Pauls teaching 1 Corinthians 7 and Romans 7:1-4
The church must help in dealing with this problem.
Doctrinal issues Baptism and forgiveness, Repentance,
- Instead of using "Mary" and
"John" I use A B C D
- A B means A is legally married to B
- A / B means a divorce for some reason has taken
- A circle around a letter = that person has
- "Burn the biscuits" is my term for any
reason for divorce other than fornication.
What is Marriage?
- Man and Woman Genesis 1:26-27
- Man needed a companion. Genesis 2:18
- God established some rules. Genesis 2:24
Synthesis "two become one"
Shameless "were not ashamed"
Security "as long as he liveth" (Romans
- Roles established Genesis 3:16
Equality of person
Difference in function and purpose
What Constitutes a Marriage?
- NOT living together. John 4:16-18
Is the marriage license important? Legal, Insurance,
Social Security, Inheritance
Why is "living together" wrong?
- Marriage is "A Covenant of Companionship"
Covenant = contract, binding agreement
Noah (Genesis 9:8-17); Jeremiah 31:31-33; Hebrews 8:6-13
Companionship Hebrew word "tame a wild
animal so you can be close"
Malachi 2:14 "She is thy companion, and the wife of
Proverbs 2:17 Companion is translated "guide"
Jesus Teaching on Marriage and Divorce
- Luke 16:18
Whosoever = anyone, everyone, all are under the same
Puts away = divorce, rejects, cuts off, sends away
Marries another = Participates in a second "covenant
Commiteth Present active tense Not a one
time action but continuing action.
Adultery = A specific type of fornication.
- Mark 10:11-12
The laws of God apply equally to men and women.
Romans allowed a woman to file for divorce. Jews did not.
Greeks did not.
- Matthew 5:32
Study Matthew 5:17 Not destroy the law but
The purpose was not to ignore, set aside the law.
Jesus purpose was to strengthen (give force) to the
The problem was not divorce, but lack of commitment in
- Matthew 19:1-12
Context the question "For every
Jesus said Look at the original intent of God for
The concession of Moses Deuteronomy 24:1-4
Hillel "Uncleanness" = Any embarrassment
Shammai - "Uncleanness" = Fornication [Conservative
"Except it be for fornication"
- The Greek word is "Pornea" (pornography). It is
a broad, general term that applies to all kinds of
unlawful sexual conduct.
- 1 Corinthians 5:1 Incest
- Jude 7 Homosexuality, Sodomy
- 1 Corinthians 7:1-2 pre-marital sex
- 1 Corinthians 7:8-9 Prostitution
- Also covers Rape, Beastility, Wife-swapping
- Present active tense continuing action, a state or
condition of sin
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "And such were some of
- Colossians 3:5-7 "When you lived in them"
- Adultery = A married persons sexual activity with
one not their spouse.
- Whoever marries a "put away" woman commits
- Implied ABC & D are ALL committing adultery.
Return to Topical Index