1. Is humming permitted in worship?
A. Humming does not do what God wants done.
1. It can't teach
2. It can't admonish
B. Humming springs from a wrong motive.
1. More interested in aesthetics (pleases me)
2. Purpose is to produce emotional situation
3. It is a vocal form of instrumental music
2. What about the "spirit" of worship?
A. Ephesians 5:18
1. Do not get drunk on wine.
2. Get drunk - "be filled" - with the Spirit
B. Spirit - has two uses in the New Testament
1. Holy Spirit =
a. indwelling Romans 8:9-11
b. filled Ephesians 1:23; 3:19; Colossians 2:8-9
c. fruit Galatians 5:22-26
d. gift Acts 2:38
2. spirit = (lower case) attitude, feeling, mood
a. John 4:23-24 "worship Him in spirit"
b. Philippians 3:3 "worship God in the spirit"
c. Romans 7:6 "serve in newness of spirit"
d. 1 Corinthians 14:15 "sing with spirit"
C. Some observations:
1. Not singing = same as doing it the wrong way
2. Not singing with spirit
3. Not singing with understanding
4. Spend more time learning what we SHOULD do
5. We seem to FOCUS on what is forbidden
6. Focus on:
a. spirit b. understanding
c. worship d. doing right
e. psalms f. hymns
g. spiritual songs h. heart of praise
i. with grace j. making melody
k. to the Lord l. wisdom
3. Other arguments:
A. David in the Old Testament
1. Amos 6:5
2. Psalm 150:1-6
B. In heaven
1. Revelation 14:1-3
2. Also in heaven - horses, incense, beasts
C. In homes, play in high school band
1. We are dealing with "how to worship God"
2. Rules do not apply to rest of our activities
D. "Psallo" = twitch, twang, pluck
1. No verb contains its own noun (direct object)
2. Hit <> ball; Kiss<>girl
3. What is the instrument to be plucked?
a. Harp, gituar, piano
b. "In your heart"
4. James 5:13-15
A. Attitude is the key.
1. Are you happy? Sing
2. Are you afflicted? Pray
B. Is any sick among you? Here is what to do:
1. Call for the elders of the church
2. Request prayer
3. Anoint him with oil
a. Oil=H.S. anoint = lay hands on
b. Oil=healing, soothing disinfectant
1] Luke 10:34
2] olive oil - like Aloe Vera plant
4. Elders should not "practice medicine"
5. They should:
a. Make one comfortable
b. Ease pain
c. Assist with getting treatment
1. Prayer of faith - save the sick - not die
2. God will give him strength = healed, recovered
3. Sins will be forgiven
a. There is a link in sin and sickness
b. 50% in hospital - psychosomatic illness
c. Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24
4. Fruit Galatians 5:22-26
5. Gift – Acts 2:38