"And it is appointed unto men
once to die, and after this
Key Words to Understand
1. Appointed -
A. NOT: appointment as in a doctor's office
1. God does not set up a schedule of who should die when.
2. The appointment with death is not a prescribed day and time.
B. NOT: Predestination.
1. God has not established a timetable for when each person will die.
2. "When your number's up your number's up"
3. OR "It was his time to go."
C. God does not have a "master computer" which predetermines when, where and how each person will die, THEN, when it is time, the computer sends a "death angel" down and takes a life.
2. Once -
A. NOT: twice or more
B. Denies - Reincarnation
1. Judgment is based on the "deeds done in the body" (2 Cor. 5:10)
2. If reincarnation - THEN which body will be judged?
3. Purpose of reincarnation - correct mistakes in previous lives
4. WHY is our world getting worse insead of better?
5. Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
C. Jesus died ONCE. Does not need to be repeated.
1. Context of Hebrews 9:25-28
2. High priest offered "every year"
3. Christ "once in the end of the world"
4. Just as we die once, so "Christ was once offered"
D. Jude 3 "Faith once (for all) delivered"
3. Die -
A. Physically -
1. James 2:26 - Separation of soul and body
2. Death = Separation
B. Biologically - Body functions cease breathing, heart
1. If left alone - this person is dead.
2. CPR can restart the heart and resperation
C. Clinically - Brain activity stops
4. After this -
A. NOT: the next second, not immediately in time
B. BUT: Next, on God's timeline of events:
1. Day = 1,000 years to God; 1,000 years = one day
2. He is not watching the clock or calendar
3. Gal. 4:4 "in the fulness of time"
4. Rev. 6:11 "a little season"
5. Rev. 1:3 "for the time is at hand"
5. Judgment -
A. Eternal judgment
B. Judgment = pronouncement of sentence.
Guilt or innocence / Saved or lost
Determined at death
At what age does the growth of creative expression stop?